Local Representation For Your Workplace Injury Case

Workers’ Compensation Representation For Injured Iowans

When you go to work every day, you reasonably expect that your employer will keep you safe. However, accidents and repetitive stress injuries are common occurrences, especially in certain industries. In Iowa, you can file a workers’ compensation claim to obtain the settlement you need to cover your medical expenses and lost wages from missing work.

At Platt Law Firm PC, I have helped hundreds of injured workers navigate the Iowa workers’ compensation system to get the medical treatment they need as well as fair settlements or awards for their injuries. I understand how overwhelming this process can be, especially when you face a lengthy recovery after your injury. When you work with me, Nicholas Platt, and my staff, you will always receive the personal attention and support you deserve at every step of your case. I have years of experience representing clients in the Des Moines area. You can trust me to fight tirelessly for the payments you are entitled to under Iowa law.

Fighting For The Compensation You Deserve

Iowa workers’ compensation laws are in place for the benefit of Iowa workers who suffer injuries on the job. However, successfully filing a claim can be a complicated process that is often more difficult than it should be. Working with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer can make a huge difference in the success of your claim.

If you are injured on the job, your employer is obligated by law to provide you:

  • Medical treatment
  • Payment for time off work
  • Reimbursement for mileage to your medical appointments
  • Payment for any permanent disability the injury caused
  • Industrial disability benefits if your ability to find work is impaired

However, your employer will not necessarily inform you of all of these obligations when you are injured. I take my role as an advocate seriously, I strive to build long-lasting relationships with my clients and I want to see you succeed. When you work with me and my staff at Platt Law Firm PC, you will always receive compassionate legal guidance and valuable support throughout the workers’ compensation process.

Answers To Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation

When you have questions or concerns after an injury, contact Platt Law Firm PC. I am available to answer your questions and address your concerns, such as those below.

What do I do if I have had a work-related injury?

If you have suffered a work injury in the state of Iowa, make sure to notify your employer as soon as possible and request medical treatment. According to Iowa law, your employer is responsible for providing access to medical treatment for work-related injuries.

Can I go to my own doctor?

Iowa workers’ compensation law stipulates that your employer may choose where to send you for medical care to treat a work-related injury. This is why it is very important that you report your injury to your employer right away and request medical treatment. If you go to your own doctor without reporting the injury to your employer or without the permission of your employer, you may be responsible for the medical bills from those appointments.

What if I have to miss work due to my injury?

In most cases, if you miss work because of an accepted work injury, your employer and their insurer will pay weekly benefits for the time that you miss work due to your injuries. Under Iowa law, employers do not have to pay for the first three days missed from work as a result of a work-related injury unless more than fourteen days are missed in total.

What if work caused my injury to get worse over time instead of happening all at once?

A work-related injury that becomes apparent over time still entitles employees to Iowa workers’ compensation benefits. Sometimes, repetitive or heavy work can cause an injury to appear or worsen over time. These are called cumulative injuries, and Iowa workers’ compensation laws are designed to compensate for them.

Do I have to prove that my employer was at fault for my injury?

The workers’ compensation system is a “no fault” system. Unlike a car accident, where you must prove to a court that someone was at fault or negligent, under workers’ compensation laws, no one has to be at fault for you to claim benefits. As long as an injury is caused or aggravated by work-related activities, it is likely compensable under Iowa workers’ compensation law.

Do I have to sue my employer to recover benefits?

Not in all cases. Workers’ compensation cases are decided by administrative law judges at Iowa Workforce. Many cases can be resolved without filing a lawsuit with the Iowa Workers’ Compensation Commission.

However, it may still be beneficial to have the advice of a Des Moines and Urbandale attorney to resolve your claim, even if your case doesn’t go before the commission.

How do I know if I need an attorney?

It almost always benefits you to consult with an attorney when you have a work injury. The Platt Law Firm PC offers free consultations for personal injury and workers’ compensation cases, and I will travel to meet with you if you live near me or outside the Des Moines and Urbandale area.

How do you charge?

The initial consultation for your case is absolutely free. If I accept your case, Platt Law Firm PC will only collect an attorney’s fee if I help you recover money for your claim.

Hire An Experienced Advocate

The Iowa workers’ compensation system can be confusing for workers and even attorneys who don’t deal with these cases every day. If you do not have the advice of an experienced advocate, it is likely that you will not receive all the benefits that the law allows for your workers’ compensation injury. To schedule a consultation to discuss your claim, call me at 515-346-6659 or complete my online contact form to get in touch. Out of my Urbandale office, I can assist clients in the Des Moines metro and any surrounding central Iowa cities.